Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Battle Report: Eldar vs. Orks

The full report is posted at the Craftworld Novas-Dinne homepage.

8 comments:

motomataru said...

Between the new codex and the new rules, orks have become ridiculous! The Shokk Attack Gun replaces the ol' looted Basilisk, but instead of a temperamental vehicle easily disabled by a couple of Eldar heavy weapon shots, we have for 200 pts an ordinance wielding infantry unit of around 35 wounds! Still temperamental, tho... The ONLY way to take it out is to assault for a couple rounds, and to do that one has to wade through dozens of angry boyz. Thank goodness for the outflank rule.

motomataru said...

Following the SAG unit in effectiveness is the loota unit. With it, the orks can put out as many as 90 S7 48" shots per turn. Their weakness is supposed to be their vulnerability to ordinary fire, but this is easily erased by sticking them in cover or an open-topped tank. With the lessening of damage taken by passengers, it's become harder to take them out. Now there's nowhere to hide for the units that were supposed to be dishing out massive damage on the boyz.

motomataru said...

Speaking of the boyz... decreasing their cost 25% already bolstered their effectiveness. Shootas to A2 made shoota boyz slightly preferable to slugga boyz. And the run rule allows them to advance on average 50% faster. My analysis shows all this combined makes them 33% more effective than the typical Eldar unit.

The one positive outcome of all this (besides greatly bolstering my win percentage) is that it gives Banys a problem worthy of the great amount of attention he'll have to direct at it... :)

motomataru said...

Oh, forgot to mention that the boyz are virtually fearless with the new mob rule...

Novas-Dinne said...

Yeah what he said. :)

Seriously though, the Orks have been GREATLY strengthened due to the combined new codex/5th Ed. And since the creators of the codex had 5th ed in mind when they released it, their strength must have been planned.

In a lot of ways, the fearless thing is one of the most difficult to deal with. Ok, we all agree that the SAG should be a small template. That I think is fair for the ork player's ability to hide it and its strength. The Lootas ... well, any unit that can potentially put out 90 shots in one turn is nearing unacceptable. My closest equivalent is a squad of 3 walkers wielding scatter lasers. That's 24 S6 shots. Nasty. But when you consider that that's less than a 1/3 of what lootas can put out, at a stronger average strength, that's just silly. But on to the fearless thing... I can drop a prism cannon template on a horde of orks, take out 10 or 12 in one shot, and they'll stick around as if nothing has happened. With Run, as Mike noted, they're advancing faster than ever, and with no way to slow them (with a convenient temporary fall back), what can an Eldar do?

Speaking of, I think we forgot to test Ld on a few shooting round in our game last sunday. I'm thinking of the turn I wiped your boyz in assault ... I don't think we Ld tested after the shooting phase, and they most definitely were reduced enough to have to test.

Anyway, yeah, this problem is one complex enough to definitely earn a great deal of attention on my part.

Novas-Dinne said...

Hmmm... if only I could field 6 tanks...

motomataru said...

Actually, they weren't that reduced. I counted 11, then looked up my magic number for fearless, which is 11.

Mike said...

Ah, ok, then that makes me feel better that we didn't Ld test them. But that also corroborates my point on the ork's fearless nature. I reamed them in shooting that turn ... and yet they stood there, unfazed! Crazy I tells ya!